The VOW: A Day with Diageo Fuelled by Warm Welcome and Wine
After a short break, the VOWers reunited in London for the UK leg of the VOW project. The first stop for the ladies was a global leader in alcoholic beverages with an outstanding collection of brands across spirits, beer and wine categories – Diageo.
Upon arrival at the Diageo headquarters, the VOW ladies were stunned by the impressive infrastructure and interior design. Then the ladies received a warm welcome from the Diageo staff and their Group Strategy Director Anna Manz.
Then a day of hardwork began for the ladies. A presentation was given by Diageo to the ladies to provide background information about their business and what they were trying to achieve.
The Challenge given by Diageo was “How can Diageo best leverage the Global Luxury traveller opportunity in 2016?”
Then there was a tour down to the Diageo Store where the ladies were free to ask any questions to assist on completing the task. Afterwards they all went for a treat in the Diageo Bar as the very kind bartender introduced some of the most popular and specialised spirits there.
Then the ladies got to work, discussing all possible solutions for the task.
After lunch, an expert on the topic from Diageo came over for a 30 minutes Q&A session with the ladies. With limited time, the questions went on nonstop during the 30 minutes, which were all very well answered by the expert.
The ladies were now prepared and had an idea of the solution to the task and could not wait to present the ideas to Anna.
The VOWers decided to tackle the challenge through the following 4 approaches specifically targeting the Chinese market:
- The personalisation of product packaging, including co-branding with local designers
- Suggesting Diageo to distribute at duty free shops, airport lounges, world class bars, cruise ships…etc. –where there would be a high traffic of luxury consumers
- Customer services including complimentary delivery services, bespoke blending, and also highly regulated tasting, education and recommendation sales services to allow customers a better understanding of the product would prove beneficial
- An introduction to popular e-commerce platforms used in china, sponsorship/product placement opportunities as these would be ideal routes to enter the China Market
Anna thoroughly enjoyed the day spent with VOW ladies and believed some of the points made were very valuable and would certainly be taken into consideration in future discussions amongst this topic. Her specific take-away points from ladies were to：
- Bring in Local designers
- Consumer education and different ways in which education can be delivered
The fantastic hospitality from the Diageo side could not be appreciated more as the ladies just arrived in London the day before from different places and had to start work first thing this morning. Starting from the warm welcoming, to the presentation, to the helpful staff, the delicious lunch…and so on, suggested that Diageo treated the VOW project very highly and allowed the VOW project UK leg begin off with a very successful day. Here we want to say a very big THANK YOU to Diageo.